For efficient extraction of ferrous and tramp metals from conveyed product streams.
Suited to non-food related industries such as recycling and mining, overbelt and suspension magnets offer a safe, efficient, and effective method of removing ferrous tramp and iron pieces. The magnets are installed above conveyed product streams and extract contaminating ferrous and tramp metal as the belt proceeds past – thus improving product purity and reducing equipment damage.
Commonly extracted ferrous contaminants from these types of installations include nails, screws, nuts, bolts, wire, chain, hammers, and crowbars – all of which can cause thousands of dollars in equipment damage if not removed early in the process.
- Improve product purity
- Prevention of damage to expensive downstream machineries such as shredders, crushers, mills, pulverizers, and grinders
- Prevention of damage, and the consequent costly repair and downtime, to conveyor belts cause by sharp metal pieces – this is especially a risk at discharge points
- Low-maintenance and self-cleaning designs available
- Reduction of downtime, maintenance, and repair costs to damaged downstream equipment, caused by the entry of tramp metal
- Cost of product rejection through failure to remove metal inclusions
- Potential savings from avoiding unnecessary landfill
- Mining operations including washeries
- Recycling plants
- Resource recovery
- Plastic operation
- Glass cullet recycling
- Shipping ports, ship loading
- Fertilizer manufacturing
- Power stations
- Wood chip & timber waste recycling
- Bulk materials handling & conveying
- Mobile crushers, screens, & shredders
- MRF (Material Recovery Facility) plants
- Auto & appliances recycling
- Municipal solid waste
- Kerbside collection and skip waste recycling
- Tyre & rubber recycling
- Electronics recycling/e-scrap
- Shredded steel
- Cement manufacturing
- Concrete batching plants
- Bulk sand and soil handling
Overbelt and suspension magnets can be installed over the top of the conveyor (cross-belt style) or at the end of the conveyor at discharge location (inline style).
Overbelt and suspension magnets are available in either permanent magnetic or electromagnetic designs. Each design has its own benefits and can include quick or self-cleaning methods.
|ADVANTAGES OF ELECTRO-MAGNETS||ADVANTAGES OF PERMANENT MAGNETS|
Overbelt Magnets consist of a magnet box surrounded by a continuously moving belt. The magnet is installed above the product stream conveyor, either mid-stream or at the conveyor discharge. As the product stream travels under the overbelt magnet, ferrous and tramp iron pieces are extracted and retained to the magnetic belt. The belt proceeds around the overbelt magnet housing. When it reaches the point at which it is no longer affected by the magnetic field, the collected metal is discharged and dropped off into collection bins.
Overbelt Magnets are popular due to their self-cleaning operation, which allows interrupted metal extraction and eliminates the need for operator cleaning schedules. They are also suited to applications where the typical level of ferrous contamination is high.
Suspension Magnets are a much simpler design than Overbelt Magnets. They consist of a block magnet (square, rectangular, or round) suspended above the conveyor with chains. The magnet face is positioned directly above the product stream, either cross-belt or inline (above conveyor discharge).
Regardless of whether Suspension Magnets are of permanent or electromagnetic design, there is usually manual labor involved in the cleaning process. The magnet must be shifted away from the conveyor before the collected metal is removed, otherwise, it may drop back into the product stream and cause recontamination. Because this manual labor is required, Suspension Magnets are typically selected for applications where the level of ferrous contamination is low and only occasional cleaning is required.
MSA also supply complete new magnetic pulley systems and magnetic pulley lagging for existing pulley magnets. These systems are installed at the discharge terminus of a conveyor and are used to effectively separate magnetic contaminants from the main non-magnetic product stream.
QUALITY AUSSIE-MADE MACHINES
Overbelt and Suspension Magnets available from MSA are high-quality, durable machines manufactured in Australia. They conform to current engineering standards and best practices. They are designed to provide low maintenance, effective metal separation.