Are you aware there are deep field and shallow field Lifting Magnets available?
Deep field (Passive Shunting) Lifting Magnets have been used for many decades in Australia. In the last ten years shallow field (Active Shunting) Lifting Magnets have been gaining in popularity.
To understand why; we need to look at the differences and what that means in the workplace:
Deep field magnets are generally durable robust pieces of equipment, but many people are not aware that they will only lift their advertised capacity at the depth of their magnetic field.
This depth varies between sizes. An average a 500kg Pro-Lift Magnet has a 40mm deep field. This means it is only rated to lift 500kg if the material you are handling is 40mm thick. If the material is 20mm thick this 500kg magnet is rated to lift 350kg. A 1-tonne deep field magnet typically has a 60mm deep field, so on 20mm material thickness, it is rated to lift 350kg which is the same as a PML 500kg magnet.
A shallow field magnet rated to lift 400kg has a 12.7mm deep field so it can lift 400kg of 12.7mm material. When you are handling 20mm plate it is still rated to lift 400kg.
Interestingly, most deep field magnets are not rated to lift material less than 10mm thick while many shallow field magnets are rated on material as thin as 0.5mm thick.
So, what that means in the workplace when you are using deep field magnets, is there is more potential to mismatch the magnet to the load.
A mismatch like using a 1-tonne Pro-Lift with a 60mm field to lift 15mm plate will result in the lever being very hard to actuate and very hard to turn off. The lever will be very forceful on release resulting in a risk of wrist injuries.
Furthermore, a calculation is required by the operator to ensure the magnet is rated to lift the material at the given thickness.
Using a shallow field magnet on material from 0.5mm to 25mm thick will ensure that the levers actuate in a gentle manner, reducing potential wrist injuries while reducing the risk of operator error due to misunderstanding their magnets capacity on various thickness’s.
At MSA we supply both types and are looking forward to offering advice on which type suits your requirements.
Lifting magnets will achieve different hold forces depending on the thickness of the steel it is in contact with.
Some magnets are geared towards lifting thin material (Active shunting) and some thicker material (Passive Shunting).
Let’s look at how the two compare at the midrange thicknesses we commonly handle in Australia:
The active shunting Magnets are more likely to lift the number on the side of the magnet as they waste less flux due to the more efficient circuit. This reduces the risk of operator error.
Contact MSA today for advice on selecting the right Lifting Magnet for your application.
Ever heard of Residual Magnetism? What is it, and how does it affect your Lifting Magnets?
Residual Magnetism occurs when a magnet fails to turn completely off. The magnetic flux is a result of a circuit being created between the rare earth magnets inside and the steel body of the magnet. The level of Residual Magnetism depends on the Shunting Technology and the overall design of the magnet.
These next 3 magnets are a good example of Residual Magnetism found in lifting magnets and why magnets with no Residual Magnetism are the safest option:
Extreme Residual Magnetism
- The 1st magnet has quite extreme Residual Magnetism, which will cause the magnet to collect ferrous particles and debris even after it has been turned off
- Debris will likely cause an air gap on subsequent lifts and may permanently score the magnet. This can significantly de-rate the magnets SWL (Safe Working Load) and the magnet could fail a pull test
- High risks of hand injuries if the operator uses their hands to separate the magnet from the load
- The material being handled will also be damaged by any debris stuck to the magnet
Low Residual Magnetism
- This magnet is a good quality Passive Shunting magnet. It has a small amount of Residual Magnetism, although not enough to risk hand injuries
- Will still require regular inspection for debris, however, you can expect it to collect much less than the first magnet
No Residual Magnetism
- The 3rd magnet uses Active Shunting Technology which allows it to be turned 100% of the way off
- It is the safest type of magnet and is also unlikely to collect any ferrous debris after being turned off
- In the event of damage to the working surface, replacement pole shoes can be fitted safely and easily using basic tools in your workshop
MSA Pro-Lift and Magswitch Lifting Magnets are designed to have a clean break of magnetic flux at the OFF position. We ensure the highest industry safety standard of our industrial Lifting Magnets while making sure they are easy to use!
Click here to watch the video now! Need a better understanding? Contact our magnet experts today.
These MSA Magnetic MIG & TIG Torches are a must-have for your welding station! They can be fixed to the welding bench or work surface to allow convenient and handy torch location.
- Prevents damage to the MIG/TIG torch components as a result of accidental falls
- Magnetises to your steel workbench or steel welder case
- Hold your MIG/TIG torch in a handy and accessible location
- Quick and easy to rest and release your MIG/TIG torch
- Durable powder-coated finish with zinc-plated base
- Features an extra Rare Earth magnet to hold your wire cutters
- Powerful Ø88mm magnetic base
- Overall Height: 130mm
- Weight: 764 grams
- Powerful Ø88mm magnetic base
- Overall Height: 185mm
- Weight: 723 grams
MSA Magnetics provides a wide range of tools to improve the safety, efficiency, and productivity of industrial operations in the metal fabrication, lifting, and woodworking industries. The Magswitch magnets have many advantages, ranging from safety benefits to reducing downtime. These switchable magnets also have durability and speed on their side.
More and more companies are looking to reduce hand injuries by prohibiting employees and contractors from using their hands to guide loads around their factories and trucks. As this “No-Touch” Policy has become mainstream, MSA Magnetics has been approached by many companies to supply No-Touch Tools for guiding steel objects under load.
MSA’s No-Touch Tools allow the performer to work safer and be more productive as the tools help save hand and back injuries, and save time! The line-up consists of:
Magswitch Extenda-Lifts: Allows users to pick up and move hot, sharp, and dirty steel without bending over and using their hands.
Magswitch Hand Lifters: Ideal for small steel handling, dragging sheet, picking, placing and pulling parts out of burn table or handling scrap, without using your hands.
Magswitch MagDolly: This product has large solid rubber wheels and is suited to lift and carry sheet, pipe or any steel object over a greater distance. Again, no need to bend over or use your hands.
The range doesn’t end there… We are the industrial magnet experts. If your requirements have anything to do with magnets, we can provide the solution that works – Contact us today!
MSA FRAS CABLE-MATE MAGNETIC LEAD HOLDER
The new FRAS Cable-Mate is a high temperature and heavy-duty version of our standard Cable-Mate Magnetic Lead Holder.
The MSA FRAS Cable-Mate features a high-strength rare earth magnet which will hold to any magnetic steel surface. Simply attach the magnet to the magnetic surface and direct your cables and leads through the yellow strap.
- Complies with FRAS (Fire Resistant Anti-Static) requirements for mines and confined spaces.
- Suitable for high temperature and heavy-duty applications.
- Highly visible safety yellow strap with a reflective sticker.
Part #: MSAFRCM10
Supports: 6+ cables
Support Weight: 25kg
Dimensions: 100mm W x 220mm H
Buy online or contact our friendly team for further information!
The MSA Magnetic Brooms & Sweepers are the ideal solution for safe, fast, and easy collection of swarf!
Magnetic swarf is a problem that most of us experience. Not only is it a mess on your factory floor, but it can also cause a lot of harm. Objects can get into product lines, puncture tyres, and even injure personnel. MSA provides a large range of magnetic broom solutions – from light brooms for general use to heavy-duty sweepers for large-scale operations.
MSA Magnetic Forklift Sweepers are powerful, permanent magnets ideal for the removal of sharp iron objects from roads, parking areas, loading docks, and other important traffic areas – greatly reducing the risks of costly damage to tyres and injuries by nails, scrap iron particles, staples, etc.
- Sizes include 36″ and 72″
- Recommended sweeping height: 2 inches
- Max. recommended operating speed: 8km/h
To remove collected fragments, simply pull the handle on the top of the sweeper and metal fragments will drop off.
Cleans in an instant – a real industry favourite!
The Super Sweeper is the quick and easy option for removing metal pieces such as nuts, bolts, rivet ends, screws, drillings, and swarf from workshop and factory floors.
- Adjustable sweeping height of 19mm-44mm
- Release the handle for easy removal of debris – simply pull the release handle for cleaning and the metal drop-offs.
- Adjustable handle extends from 63cm-102cm
- 18cm wheels
So if you are sick of tyre punctures, you can learn more or purchase these magnets here…or you can contact our friendly team here if you have any questions.
Are you serious about safety? We are. So we’ve developed a range of high-quality magnetic solutions designed to hold your cables and power cords up off the floor. These magnets are an effective and inexpensive way to not only prevent trip hazards but also tidy up your work areas! The range includes the MSA FRAS Cable-Mate, Standard Cable-Mate, Cable-Buddy, and Powr-Safe Lead Holder Magnets.
The tools are easy to use. Each of the magnetic lead holders features a high-strength rare earth magnet which will hold to any flat magnetic steel surface. Simply attach the magnet to the magnetic surface and redirect the cable through the tool.
- Keeps floor spaces and/or work areas tidy
- Provides a safer working area
- Assists in meeting WHS obligations
- Greatly reduces the risk of slips, trips, falls, and injury
- Reduces the risk of electrocution by holding cables up and out of wet areas
Protects cables/hoses from machine & foot traffic, resulting in a return on investment by ensuring:
- Less wear/damage
- Longer lifespan of cables
- Reduced maintenance costs in repairing/replacing damaged cables
- Fast, no-fuss rerouting of cables (time-saving)
- Ability to organise and store cables in a safe practical location
- Although strong, they are easy to remove and place elsewhere
- Holds cables out of the working area, providing ease of working.